This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 7 October 2010

Crocosmia flowers - reproduce like rabbits

Crocosmia are an Autumn favourite! I was never a fan of their orangy colour however as they multiple around the garden they grow on me.

Their features are...
  • perennial bulb (easy to divide & multiply)
  • variety of colours available - bright red, yellow or orange
  • spiky tall leaves provide interest
  • good height, 3-4 feet tall
  • good mixed in flower beds
  • easy & reliable (don't even need deadheading)

And... the colour orange goes with anything, right?!?!
Variety: Crocosmia. Flowers: August to October.


Crocosmia (centre) pictured with perennial Aster (left) with deep purple flowers and annual Nasturtium (bottom right).

1 comment:

  1. I didn't used to like them either, but now I love them. The essence of late summer.

    ReplyDelete