This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 24 January 2011

Its been rather FROSTY

My little garden helper (pictured left) has been missing me out in the garden. We had hard frost most days last week and at the weekend. I'm wondering when I'll get a descent day to do a few jobs outside.

Inside... the dehumidifiers are still churning away taking the damp out of the walls from the burst pipes at the end of Dec. It has almost dried completely.

Below are a few frosty photos from the weekend.
Above: A frost covered wild foxglove.
Above: Frosty fern fronds.
Frost covered lawn has been this way for several days.
Above & Below: Just outside the front door little junks of ice have appeared from somewhere?
About twenty little ice chunks within a few metres (feet) of each other... maybe they've fallen from the top of the house or guttering? Hmmm.

Burrrr! It's cold. Time for a cuppa & to watch Carol Klein's cottage garden programme which I've taped.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't watched Carol Klein's programme from last week yet either, I've got it on Skyplus. The frost makes everything look pretty, but I'm getting fed up of the cold now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! That makes me feel cold just looking at the photos. Why does frost always look worse than pretty snow. Brrr! It is time for you to move to Australia where we only get little frosts and in some parts of the country, none. C'mon Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo, sometimes I wonder if it’s Ireland or Iceland these days lol! I agree SkyPlus is fantastic, great being able to fast forward through the adverts!

    Hi Hazel, I adore Australia, was there in 2001 and absolutely loved it. So beautiful and diverse. Mind you I wouldn’t fancy all those creepy crawlies you have. We don’t even have snakes in Ireland and I’ve never seen a lizard here either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have had the worst of the weather, haven't you? Being surrounded by so much sea, Ireland is supposed to be benefit from a mild and temperate climate. Doesn't look like that always applies (And yes, I do know the difference between climate and weather...)
    Your photos of the frost are great too - you must try zooming them to emphasise the crystal patterns, which are quite specatacular.
    P.S. Your cat is beautiful - and evidently curious!

    I hope the lumps of ice are not "Blue Ice" from a passing aeroplane You must get lots of transatlantic flight passing overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelli, we are still getting some frost down here too, not too severe but enought o stop us gardening! We dont go out to the allotment during January anyway and I have just about looked at the garden at home through the window...roll on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Photos are really nice and I always enjoy a photo of your garden helper. Is she still training for the Circus in Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me, Hazel is right, that frost looks brutal. It's blooming boiling here today, the sun is blazing like a furnace, it's very hard to envisage frost!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog
    I always thought of Ireland as being warmed by the sea too but doesn't look like it. According to our weather forecasters we are due for another cold spell - recently soggy is more descriptive. My husband has a weather blog - here -if you are interested in what sort of weather we have been having

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfull fotos frozen plants, best regard from Belgium

    ReplyDelete