This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 26 June 2011

Delphinium

My all time favourite cottage garden flower - Delphinium. They're tall, attractive and need little care (apart from staking).
Variety: Delphinium Pacific Hybrids. Grown from seed several years ago. Flowers June.
Flower buds before they open.

These plants seem to like where they're planted, reaching almost 6 feet. They get bigger and better every year! My attempt at staking them with sticks and canes above. Photo taken 18 June.

A little bit of wind damage above - my staking didn't quite do the job!                                                     Photo taken 25 June.

The same delphinium in fuller flower. Pictured are only two plants.

Another group of delphinium in a different area of the garden, only about 2-3 feet tall. Same type of seed as the plants above, however, this year one of the plants changed to a 'mini' (pictured) - maybe lacking nutrients or on its way out. I've read articles that say delphinium need replaced after a few years. (Not sure if true).











Same flowers, just different angle...

9 comments:

  1. I love the light blue variety. What gorgeous blooms Kelli ~ I say 'bah' to staking them. You have picture perfect blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are beautiful. I remember seeing 6 ft. tall delphinium in Ireland. I have two growing that will bloom, and two new ones that I planted a few weeks ago. I love them too, almost as much as foxglove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden must be an absolute delight right now - you have so many of the lovely Cottage Garden type flowers. I admire your skill at getting the blues to show up properly in your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous colour. I've never grown delphiniums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so many beautiful collection of blooms this month! If I only can visit your garden:). Is delphinium and larkspur the same?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your delphinimn are spectacular! I've never seen ones so tall and big. And so bright a blue---just beauutirul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky you are to have good luck with delphiniums! I've tried them countless times, and they always fade away quickly. And they are so beautiful! Any secrets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely is that? The blue just takes your breath away. I also love Delphiniums because they do so well inside as cut flowers. I can tell you spend a great deal of time in your garden. Your photos are great.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete