This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 5 February 2012

Crocus and 1st Daffodil

The crocus are popping up throughout the garden  -ever forget where you plant your bulbs?!? It's a nice surprise this time of year!

The yellow crocus are very cheerful, even in the rain, which is what we've been getting today.

Over the years I've bought different crocus packs: "Crocus Botanical Mixed", "Crocus Large Flowering", and "Specie Crocus Mixed".

Crocus coming up through Poached Egg plants / Limnanthes.
Crocus growing along a grass bank. This variety has a sort of stripe. I can't really tell one crocus from another! 
Stripey crocus close up with raindrops.
Purple crocus emerging. 
The daffodils are coming up too. The above clump look to be well on; however... 
As I was walking around the garden I spotted a lone daffodil almost in flower growing amongst a Vinca Minor Argenteo Varigatia.
This will likely be my 1st Daffodil to flower! Last year I spotted my first Daffodil in flower around 26-27 Feb. The post is located at:  http://kelliboylesgarden.blogspot.com/2011/02/hail-stones-and-1st-daffodil-flower.html

12 comments:

  1. Yes I do forget where the bulbs are and sometimes I'm sure they move.

    It's lovely to see bulbs popping up - we had some croscuses too but they have been under snow so I hope they survive OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to see a bit of colour pop up when you're least expecting it - ours are under a few inches of snow at the moment, so it will be nice to see if they have decided to grow a bit more under their wintry duvet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a long way ahead of me then, Kelli. I have a few Crocuses and Irises flowering, but I think it will be a while before any daffodils show their colour. I planted some Fritillaries in the Autumn, and I took the precaution of putting in some sticks to mark their position!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any daffodils in flower yet, you're early with your's. We can't see any bulbs here at the moment, we're blanketed in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love seeing the crocuses and my personal favorite flower the daffodil I hope to see a few pop up in my yard. very beautiful pictures thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we are almost a month ahead of last year, too. I have little crocus foliage coming up - no blooms yet. I think they are a great surprise, too, and such sweet little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed a bud on one of our daffodils at the weekend, I'm looking forward to the lovely bright yellow popping up around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you ever find that birds peck at the yellow crocuses. I stopped growing them because they always ended up a pecked mess. It never seem to happen to any other colour...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not got a one crocus showing through yet. I'm just hoping that the squirrels haven't eaten them all. A few daffodil leaves but no buds showing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love crocus, they're so delicate and remind me of my nanna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Kelli, I'm jealous you already have crocus and beautiful ones at that. I never remember exactly where my bulbs are till they come up, I think that's half the fun! The shot you admired at the Franklin Park Conservatory is a glass sculpture piece by Dale Chihuly. It's in the ceiling of one of the garden areas. He also did all the other glass pieces you see in that post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at those daffodils. I dug out crocus to plant roses and never got them back in the ground. Instead I have been filling the garden with daffodils. I did notice that some of the new bulb that we planted last fall are already poking through the soil, but they are still weeks away from blooms. I will smile when you post photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete