This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 24 September 2012

September Sun (and frost)

The weather was lovely over the weekend. However, today has been filled with grey skies and heavy rain. September has been such a mixed month weather-wise. Of course on sunny days I head out into the garden to capture some photos of any insects or butterflies I can find. 

We even had a light frost at the weekend (see last photo). I was a bit surprised. Not a hard frost,  as such, but still a frost.

Left: Cornflower 'Blue Bell' (Hardy Annual), grown from seed sown direct outside.
Above and Below: Sedum Autumn Joy attracts all sorts of insects.
Above: Zinnia 'Giants of California',  grown from seed sown direct outside. 
Above: A bit of a light frost on Saturday morning!
I knew this meant a lovely sunny day!

Happy Fall / Autumn!
Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

14 comments:

  1. How nice to see so many butterflies (those are Tortoiseshells, aren't they?). They have been very scarce in my garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post of the flowers, bees and butterflies. I can't believe there were so many on the Sedum! They must love it. The light frost looks so pretty and already the sun was starting to shine. Fall is such a lovely time of year...hope yours is especially nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful butterfly. It's similar to the butterflies I see here. It's wonderful to see you growing the same flowers we grow here. :o) I just transplanted a bunch of Autumn Joy seedlings that I thought were going to die this summer. They surprised me be growing and thriving. I love your cornflowers. Such a beautiful blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frost already? I am hoping that our frost is a few weeks away. You have such a good photo of the butterfly. It was a considerate poser.Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterfly's are so pretty. I am looking at plants to bring more into my garden. How I envy you with your morning frost! It was 95 here today, and I thought for a moment that I really was going to melt outside. Enjoy your Fall....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love photographing butterflies - I think when it is cool it is a little easier as they don't flit about quite as much but it's still difficult ti capture a clear unfuzzy image. Your one of the single tortoiseshell is lovely. We have had lots of peacock butterflies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've recently bought a sedum so I hope it does a good job of attracting some butterflies to the garden, there's been hardly any this year. I don't want a frost yet, my beans have only just got going. Torrential rain for us as the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn Joy is such a fabulous plant! I love the look and all the insects it attracts. Some chillier temps have arrived this week but not so cold as frost yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kelli,wind and rain here today and temps have fallen, the heating is on but so far no frost! I cant believe you have had one so early in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to find your Blog today. So wonderful your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a frost too - very early - but like you the weekend was good weather. Still good to see you have plenty of colour left in your garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your visitor in your garden sure are happy with the beautiful flower you grown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing the zinnias...I'm about to plant some seeds for our summer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! Frost! Your sedum is gorgeous. I bet the bees and butterflies are working as hard as they can before winter sets in!

    ReplyDelete