This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 28 December 2012

December Veg

The vegetable garden for me in December is a little weak... still, a few things are growing. Here's some of the veg I've been harvesting this month.


Left/Below:Leek Musselburgh, sown in April 2012, and planted outside in June. Its been very slow to grow and not really much of a harvest at all.

Below: I'm still pulling and using carrots in December - small but tasty.
Above: Kale 'Nero di Toscana', sown in April and planted outside in June, is still growing and producing.
Above and Below: Carrots and Celery are still growing in the veg box. The celery had very stunted growth this year and didn 't really produce proper stalks.
Above and below: This month I cut celery tops to add to soup - using the leaves like parsley to add flavour.
Suppose a little veg in December is better than no veg at all.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

8 comments:

  1. That's a reasonable amount of vegetables for December Kelli. You've done better than we have for celery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got more than I have, and it all looks delicious. Leeks are the only thing that's left on my allotment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a good year for Cavolo Nero, and yours looks very fine. Using the celery leaves in soup seems like a good way to make the most of what little there is. I wish I had tried growing Celeriac again in 2012, since it likes lots of water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin and I really enjoyed your blog today showing your veggies. Getting any veggies in December is quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have more than I have, I have just celery, parsley and onions.
    The kale 'Nero di Toscana'looks impressive. Enjoy your meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your December veg is a bonus and looks really good, considering the weather. Best wishes for a successful gardening year in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping by to wish you a happy new year. All the very best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelli, wishing you a Happy New Year! I hope 2013 brings just the right amount of sunshine & rain for a great growing season! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete