This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 11 October 2013

Beautiful Kohl Rabi

Kohl Rabi - what a great looking vegetable! They're so pretty I'm not sure I want to harvest and eat them. This is the first time I've grown this plant so I have no idea what to do with it or when to harvest. The seeds were started off in June in a greenhouse and planted outside at the end of July. 

Variety: Kohl Rabi 'Purple Vienna

The name of the plant means 'turnip cabbage' (BBC Good Food website).
I did a quick google search on the internet. Says the bulb can be steamed or stir fried and the leaves can be eaten like cabbage. Suppose I need to try them out soon! 

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

7 comments:

  1. We did grow some ages ago but I can't remember how they tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are very picturesque. They taste very much like a cross between a turnip and a cabbage! Not as strong as a turnip. They are nice lightly steamed, but also good raw (grated as a salad ingredient).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure are pretty.....a painting subject matter, perhaps? Or a nice botanical drawing? That is, before you eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never eaten kohlrabi that I'm aware of. It's very pretty. It does look a bit alien, though. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful plant! Pat yourself on the fine nurturing of the plant, then rip it right up and toss it in the pot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're such a great looking vegetable. I've tried to grow them a couple of times but I can never get them past the seedling stage. I'm not very good with brassicas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We grew green kohlrabi this year, and found them tastiest eaten raw.

    ReplyDelete