This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 27 October 2013

End of October Flowers

Today marks the end of British Summer Time. It's only a few days until the end of October (no frost yet) and the garden still has a good amount of interest and colour through plants like sedum, grasses, kaffir lily, pieris forest flame, and the red stems of the dogwood shrub.

The wet, damp weather has been good for the weeds and they're multiplying thick and fast. I've still loads of weeding and tidying to do before I retire from general garden work for the Winter. 


Above: Sedum Autumn Joy amongst the Bergenia leaves.
Sedum Autumn Joy is a survivor; here it grows through heather.
Above: The grassy looking Schizostylis Coccinea (Kaffir Lily) are in their flowering prime.
Kitty follows me through the garden and enjoys a scratch against the red stems of the Cornus dogwood shrub.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

11 comments:

  1. Look at all of that hot pink. While the flowers and vegetables are gone, the weeds still thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly been a miserable day today - not looking forward to it being dark before 5:00 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark red Sedum in your first photo is a very nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sedum is so pretty. Do you know if it can be dried? I think I have heard of it being hung upside down to dry to use in winter dried flower bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still have vivid colours in your garden, even Kitty's colour fits into the whole scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much colour there still is in the garden, our roses are still refusing to give up, even the gladioli are still in bloom, the weeds keep coming and the grass keeps growing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sedum. The cat is coloring the garden too. interesting garden

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sedum, it's a great plant to have at this time of year. My grass is still growing, it's the wet weather combined with such a mild October which is encouraging it. I wish it would stop as I don't think it will dry out enough to have another cut before winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You still have so much beauty and life in your garden! Your Sedum is a wonderful color. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy seeing how your garden is advanced of mine, even though you are farther north. I know, it's the sea that keeps you warmer there, but it also keeps you cooler in summer. My sedum is dark red, fading to brown by now. But I sure love it in that bright pink color that you have now!

    ReplyDelete