This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 15 December 2013

Beetroot and Kohlrabi

There are still a few veggies growing in the garden, however, I've been a bit slack in harvesting these. I'm wondering if they'll be edible as some are looking a bit 'rough'.  For example, the beetroot (left) looks a bit woody Suppose there's only one way to find out if it tastes of anything - I should pull one out and do a taste test.

Other veg growing - I've loads of kale, some Winter salad, a few spring cabbages, chard that looks past usable, tiny leeks and a few other bits and pieces.
Above: Beetroot that definitely isn't edible!

The Kohl Rabi looks a bit tough too. I harvested one, cut in in half and discovered something had eaten most of the inside of it! On the plus side, they're really pretty and I like seeing them in the veg plot.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

3 comments:

  1. We're still harvesting beetroot which is just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appearances can be deceptive. The rough-looking beetroot is probably just fine. Might take a bit longer to cook though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you are a hardy one, still poking around in your garden, while ours are all put to bed for the winter soaking up snow water and sunshine. Yes, I suppose that the red beet is probably a bit woody and tough. Perhaps you could use the juice to color your Christmas frosting. And the purple on the kohl rabi is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete