This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 6 March 2014

Frosty Mornings

Its been a bit frosty over the past week. Last year it was bitterly cold on St Patrick's Day and I had to delay planting potatoes for a month. In 2013 we also had a big snow around 20th March - who knows what will happen this year. I do love photographing frost and snow! Its just so pretty especially on a bright, sunny day.

I've been holding off sowing seed but am starting to get the itch to sow!

Left: frost covered stone and fern fronds.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

5 comments:

  1. We have had a few frosty mornings of late, nothing too bad though. We checked the other day & we had bad snow on the 24th last year, we shall see what happens later on in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are holding back seed sowing too. Frost and snow is photogenic but ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, What a beautiful photo! Frost can be a joy to see. We still have snow on the ground but there are bare spots. Like you, we can't really trust Spring. We don't sow until the last week in May...unless we're planting peas and a few other cold weather veggies.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really pretty photo, Kelli. I hope you don't get more frost or snow. I know you are getting everything planned for your garden. I will plant tomorrow here in Florida and am actually quite late. The garden book says to plant in South Florida by Feb. 19.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    I love your blog! I'd like to subscribe in a way that gives me an email whenever you post something new. For whatever reason I can't figure out how to do it! Let me know?

    ReplyDelete