This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 15 September 2014

Harvesting Veg

A basket full of a week's harvest.
I'm now harvesting veg from two different places - my own garden and the community garden I volunteer at. Between the two, I don't really  need to buy much veg at the grocery store which is fantastic. 

I enjoy cooking and I'm not a fussy eater so I always take the veg no one else wants (cucumber, kale, leaf beet etc). I generally make up my own recipes and just use whatever I have in the fridge (and garden). I just love all this veg - so very yummy!
Once the veg is washed, I start planning my meals for the week. This week's harvest includes: 2 types of lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, turnip, swede, leaf beet, kale, carrots, celery, cucumber, and peppers.

This week I'm joining Harvest Monday for the first time at Daphne's Dandelions blog. Not sure if I qualify because some of the veg comes from the community garden, but thought I'd give it a go, and Daphne can keep me right. Happy Harvesting!


Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

13 comments:

  1. It really is a joy to wander through the fresh produce in the grocery store and pass up so many vegetables that I don't have to buy. Nicer to go to the fridge and find them there, clean, fresh, and healthy. We have, though, officially closed the garden. I will go out today and pick the biggest tomatoes left to ripen on the kitchen counter. Our roma tomatoes that we started in the house are loaded with green tomatoes, but I don't think they will ripen. We have already had one frost. Your vegetables looks healthy and tasty. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if those are the veg that no-one else wants, what are their favourites then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lettuces, tomatoes and potatoes seem to have been popular!

      Delete
  3. Lovely veggies you have there! Who needs recipes when you have an assortment of fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With fresh veggies, all that is usually needed is a bit of butter and some light seasoning. That's the beauty ... they have so much flavour you don't need to do much "fixing". Great job picking the veggies no matter where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful harvests with so much variety. Completely agree with everyone else...not much needs to be done to such garden fresh bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great selection and so colourful - nothing like fresh veg that you have grown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that you qualify and you have a lovely colourful harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous harvest. I never used to like swede until I tried it diced quite small & roasted with other veg, I rather like it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such variety, lovely. I love my veg so it's great when the harvests start, especially when there's enough so that I don't have to buy any veg from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and very colorful veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely harvests. And yes veggies from the community garden certainly qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking basket of vegetables! They will be so tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete